Today’s sermon title was taken from the Bible reference in Colossians 3:11 ” Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all.” Then our Pastor posed the question, “What does it mean that Christ is all?” His sermon outline gives 6 points which answer that question.
1. Re 1:8 “I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.” In this text the Alpha and Omega are the first and last letters of the Hebrew alphabet. God communicates to us by using the alphabet. Christ is also the Word.(Jn 1:1 ¶ In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.) So, we learn that Christ is the Almighty Communicator.
2. Heb 3:1 “Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;”. The word Apostle in this verse means “sent”. Jn 3:16 tells us that God gave or sent his only begotten Son into the world. Therefore, as an Apostle and High Priest, Christ is sent of God to represent God to mankind.
3. Heb 5:9 “And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him”. The word Author means initiator or the first cause of it. Christ is the Initiator of our salvation. In Acts 16:31 we are commanded to “ And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.” By believing we are literally obeying him.
4. Jn 6:35 “And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.” If we come to Christ we will never hunger or thirst again. Christ is sufficient.
5. Jer 33:14-15 “Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will perform that good thing which I have promised unto the house of Israel and to the house of Judah. In those days, and at that time, will I cause the Branch of righteousness to grow up unto David; and he shall execute judgment and righteousness in the land.” The “Branch of righteousness” is a prophetic reference to the Messiah who came out of the tribe of David. He will rule and have peace in the earth. Christ is The LORD our Righteousness.
6. Re 22:16 “I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.” After the dark judgment of the world, this world, Christ comes as the bright and morning star. There will be no need for the sun because of His brightness. Christ is the bright and morning star.
From these 6 points we can summarize that Christ is sufficient. Because He is all in all, we can apply Ph 4:6 “Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.” The word nothing in the verse means “not one little thing, no not nothing”.
If you are saved by the grace of God then rest in his sufficiency. Trust him and don’t be dismayed by the affairs of this world. Don’t let one little thing make you anxious. Cast all your burdens upon Him.
If you do not know Christ as your Saviour, then trust Him for All, your life now and eternal life later. Christ is the Initiator of your salvation. He bids you to come to Him now, today. Today is the day of salvation.
See the 10 minute introduction to this video